Unfortunately just a few weeks ago, there was a big fire at Port Forum. Fortunately, there was not any victims, what could have been a big catastrophe.
Actually to this day, we do not know the causes of the fire, since we have heard several versions, there are illogical thinks, the bad operative and no guilties found. In our opinion, what is illogical is to do not cut ropes of the first one and let burn and sink alone; thus avoiding the burning of other boats and risk to danger people through smoke intoxication and even people who live on boats. But in fact, it is easy for us all to draw conclusions.
Making reference to the tittle, here you have some ideas to avoid fires on board:
- Never leave an external heater connected, such as an electric heater or the usual we use in bathroom.
- If we cook on board, always be aware of it, either if this is gas or electric like ceramic and never never leave something cooking and leave out.
- Smoking in the interior, something that we should always reject. The boats are mostly built of fiberglass and wood, and usually the interior is carpeted, that is, they are easily incendiary and once they start to burn, it is very difficult to stop.
- We usually carry incendiary products, gasoline, paints, flares, unclogging sprays and solvents. Always keep them as tight as possible from heat sources.
- Welding the metals on board, when heating the metal, acquires a lot of temperature and inside the fiber can ignite without realizing it.
- Batteries, if they are in poor condition and the charger is not automatic, reach high temperature and can explode.
All these are points to keep in mind; we could continue incresing the list….We hope it helps you to avoid incidents
Good wind ! navigators